Monday, September 12, 2011

Let School Begin!

After a very busy summer, I was ready for a routine, and ready to be home for a while.
Having a youth minister for a husband makes for packed summers. Don't get me wrong, I do love it, but it is nice to have a regular routine now and to not be on the road so much. I did the math and figured that we were out of town a total of 30 days for camps, mission trip, and our vacation.

The girls were ready for school to start too. I cannot believe we now have a 1st grader and 3rd grader! Time has flown by!




As I write this it has been 3 weeks since school started. So far, so good. We are back into the swing of things, and the girls are enjoying school and like their teachers. I will say, Avery has had a lot more homework this year. She often has a math sheet, spelling sheet, and then she is supposed to read her AR book. She has had a good attitude about it for the most part, but I do feel a little sorry for her.

I don't start tutoring until Sept. 19th, but I am on the sub list until then. The beginning of the year is always slow when it comes to substitute teaching, but I was glad because it allowed me to get lots of projects done at home. One day, I got to be outside in the beautiful weather while I was subbing for a P.E. teacher who said to take advantage of the cooler weather and take the students out for "Free Play". It was awesome! Another day I subbed in my old classroom. It was a little weird, and it brought back some memories of those 3 years I taught before having Avery.

Another day I was asked to sub in a Criminal Justice class at the high school. I was glad I didn't really have to "teach" anything in that class. What do I know about Criminal Justice? Needless to say, substitute teaching is not boring. Each time brings a new experience or adventure.

My schedule is a little different this year with tutoring. I will be spending most of every school day at Terrell Elementary working with 5th graders on Math and Science. I am really looking forward to it. I always say that tutoring is most of the best parts of teaching minus all the stress, grading papers, dealing with parents, and making lesson plans. To top it off, I am done at the end of the school day. I love that I can be at home in the morning with my girls before school starts, and I am done in enough time to pick them up from school.

Soccer has also started back up around here. Wes is Abby's head coach once again and Avery's assistant coach. Abby is playing on a bigger field and now plays 4 on 4. Abby had her first game on Saturday. They were ahead by 1 point most of the time, but ended up with a tie in the end.

Small groups will resume at our house next Sunday. I love this group and can't wait to study Francis Chan's Forgotten God. I loved Crazy Love, so I am excited about starting another one of his books.

So, between school, youth activities at church and in our home, soccer practices and games, church, and small group, we have lots going on around here.

No comments: